Breach of Collaboration Agreement?
Do you know all there is to know about collaboration agreements? How can you deal with an issue you are facing when a violation occurs? There is a huge need to know about protection in the entertainment business and each day, many more are looking for help in this department. This is why it is so important to fully understand collaboration agreements before adding your name on the dotted line.
What is a collaboration agreement?
A collaboration agreement are terms and conditions that collaborators agree to. Collaborators are people that work together on a creative piece, whether it be literature, music, or songs. Many times the terms and conditions of the collaboration agreement will include many important aspects, including but not limited to:
- copyright possession of the finished creative work
- equal control over the creative work between the collaborators
- a merge clause, which allows the said piece of work to be unified into one creative piece
- withdrawal of one of the collaborators
- death of one of the collaborators
- Distribution of any royalties of the creative work
- finalization of representatives to promote the said work
- dispute resolve procedures
- grand rights of the creation and small performing rights
These terms are the basics that one should have in a collaboration agreement. Having all the topics covered will allow you to be able to manage any dispute you may have much better. The best way to have a collaboration agreement drawn up is with the help of an Entertainment lawyer. They can help you decide what aspects will be included in the agreement based on you and your partners needs. With a professional Entertainment Lawyer you will have the expense up front, but it will be more cost effect than to risk the losses that can arise if the project gets abandoned or tied up in court. Mediation is often used in collaboration agreements these days, as is arbitration. These are less expensive procedures that adapt the favorable dispute methods. But the outcome may only turn out how you wish if you have the service of good arbitrators or mediators.